A little basic cleaning, a dose of sandpaper, a moderate quantity of good quality paint and a pinch of attention to detail and this

fall2008-3921

became this:

fall2008-400

The before photo looks deceptively nice but in reality the little dresser had some deep stains and a few scratches that needed some attention.  At first I was going to give it a few coats of black and then a few coats of white paint and try to distress it.  The other vanity is white as are the trim and the door in the room.  As soon as I got the black on though I knew that there was no going to white.  The black picks up on the black towels I have in the room.

fall2008-407

It also highlights the chunky black frames I have all over the walls.

fall2008-408

It even draws attention to the theme word for the ensuite bath.

fall2008-410

Once the cabinet changed colours I felt the hardware needed to be darkened too.  The handles looked too green against the black so I used a little brush and added some black paint to them.

fall2008-405

The handles look like they go with the piece now.

fall2008-401

Now to gather all the paraphenelia in those drawers and on that counter and decide a proper home for everything.  The top of the dresser is also looking decidedly bare.  I’ll have to start scouting for some appropriate embellishment. Stay tuned!

fall2008-402

Advertisements